EMNLP 2021 is planned to be a hybrid event in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, with both on-site and fully virtual participation possible.
The experience for on-site participants would closely approximate a normal pre-COVID *ACL conference, with 5-6 thematically organized parallel sessions and live Q/A and interactive discussion immediately after the talks. Presentations by virtual participants will be equitably interleaved with those of on-site participants, projected on the auditorium screens as if on-site, and also followed immediately by live Q/A and interactive discussion at a time during reasonable waking hours for the virtual presenter. For all participants, on-site and virtual, who are unable to attend a session due to either time-zone issues or because they are participating in another session live, talk recordings and slides will be available online at a minimum after the live presentation (and in many cases before as well), and questions may be submitted in advance on session-specific discussion boards and answered live in session with the usual visual aids if desired.
With its two miles of white sand in the unique and spectacular Bavaro beach, considered one of the top ten best beaches in the world, the Barceló Bávaro Grand Resort is one of the largest, most complete all-inclusive resort complexes in the Caribbean. This is an ideal place to rest in contact with a privileged environment where, in addition, you can practice your favorite sports, taste exquisite gastronomy, go shopping, enjoy spectacular shows to Caribbean rhythms, relax in the modern facilities of its center of beauty and wellness. In addition to all meals being included in the hotel room price, you can enjoy daytime childcare activities, beach activities, and much more.
The resort is divided into two hotels, Barcelo Bavaro Palace, dedicated and designed for families and the Barceló Bávaro Beach with a concept of "Adults Only". At the Barcelo Bavaro Palace section, you’ll find excellent cuisine with 11 restaurants to choose from, including 7 à la carte restaurants and 2 themed buffets, each a unique dining experience where you will be transported to different parts of the world, from the tradition minimalist Japanese cuisine to the exciting flavors and colors of Mexico, through the unique experiences of the Spanish or Italian cuisine, not forgetting the delicious Dominican food in a stunning buffet dedicated to this specialty, also the fun and atmosphere of a Steak House. For guests of the Barceló Bávaro Beach, two buffets and two à la carte Restaurants International and Mediterranean. Barceló Bávaro Grand Resort has received the Green Globe Certificate, a global recognition for its environmentally friendly practices. Thanks to the energy efficiency and energy savings programs it has implemented, this is a green and sustainable hotel.
The only thing guests need to think about is waking up in an idyllic place and choosing between the most pleasant form of relaxation or an exciting range of activities. There is simply no other hotel in the Caribbean that matches the beauty of the Barcelo Bavaro Grand Resort!
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- The COVID-19 situation is being monitored and the measures might be adjusted as the situation evolves.
- The conference hotel complex is a relatively isolated all-inclusive bubble-like environment, with few people coming/going during the week except for resort-based excursions such as snorkeling/diving trips.
- The conference will follow appropriate capacity limitations and social distancing practices for a predominantly/near-exclusively vaccinated group in the health environment as it evolves in November 2021.
- All guests and hotel staff are currently thoroughly tested for COVID-19 and/or vaccinated, given that resort tourism and its health and safety is very important to the Dominican Republic economy.
- The other hotels in the Punta Cana area tend to also be all-inclusive resorts with currently very low incidence of infection.
- The closest major city to Punta Cana is 2.5 hours away (Santo Domingo), with nearly all visitors arriving directly into Punta Cana International Airport (relatively close to the hotel complex).
- Currently the international airlines flying to the island require pre-departure COVID testing and are likely to either require pre-departure COVID testing and/or proof of vaccination as warranted by global health and traveler expectations for a safe environment.
- The conference facilities (all ballrooms and smaller meeting rooms) are for the exclusive use of EMNLP 2021 attendees.